Friday, February 17, 2012

Iphoneography Love or Hate.

Prior to owning a smart phone with a camera I was rarely without my M6. But like Gary Winograd my film often ends up in a box full of mystery rolls. Its exciting once every few weeks to process this film and see the results.

The evolution of phone cameras leaves me standing on a fence of uncertainty. Do I love it or hate it? On the one hand, I never miss a shot because I always have my phone at hand and also like Gary Winograd I LOVE street photography. One of the upsides of smartphoneography is the instantaneous nature of sharing your vision with others through social media. Sites such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and others are a quick method for publishing and sharing your work.

I think it helps feed my personal creativity in that I am always looking, seeing, and making myself aware of potential images.

While walking to the park with my son and husband I took this photo with an app called Hipstamatic. It offers a variety of virtual lenses, films and filters that create an interesting effect. Many of the packs of digital products it offers intend to emulate film photography.

Billy Calzada, a photojournalist with the San Antonio Express-News has embraced the concept, exploring the possibilities and creating beautiful images with iphoneography in an ongoing project he calls, "Last Picture of My Day."

Another photographer Penny de los Santos writes about how iphoneography has changed the way she shoots in a post called, "How Instagram has Influened My Photography."

As a photojournalist, it can be difficult to make images for yourself that express your vision and creative eye while on assignment for a publication, whose needs are oftentimes very specific.

That is one of the joys of iphoneography. You can make images that satisfy your intellectual curiosity as a photographer and share that vision with a broad audience of followers, fans and friends. But what happens when we leave our SLR's at home?


No comments:

Post a Comment